Owner / Designer
Early in her professional career as an instructor for Fred Astaire Dance Studio, Angela Nuran saw that brides and grooms needed specialized training, not regular dance lessons, to get through their first dance. In 1996 she left FADS to open her own dance company specializing in preparing people for weddings and quinceañeras. Using her graphic skills in an unusually effective way, she taught her students “A Dance To Remember” to thrill everyone. She individually scripted every routine for each song making it easier to learn than typical dance lessons, and gave each student a framed keepsake copy of their dance to help them practice. Before writing choreography, Angela got details about the attire to make sure the dance moves could be done, and had women bring in their shoes which often were difficult to dance in and miserably uncomfortable. Angela was invited to the weddings and saw countless brides take off their shoes at receptions. Should a woman dressed in the most expensive gown she may ever wear traipse around barefoot or risk hurting her feet before her honeymoon? Once again Angela saw that gals needed help on a very important day in their life. They needed the right shoes! She started in the shoe business by selling pre-existing ballroom dance shoes, but was disillusioned because ballroom shoes failed to meet the criteria she knew her clients required.
So Angela created her own brand … a hybrid shoe combining the fashion and quality a bride wants with the comfort and components a dancer needs. Angela Nuran shoes are designed specifically for the bridal / special occasion market to provide women with high quality couture silk shoes that will complement their gown while providing hours of cushioned comfort while dining, dancing or socializing. Ingeniously designed to fit multiple widths via adjustable brooches at the vamp, every woman can find what she needs among the classic styles in varied heel heights available in the Angela Nuran shoe collection. Shoes can be customized with choice of brooch, straps, ribbons, dyeing, beading, adornments or a personal inscription to create the perfect wedding shoe. This is the vision of Angela Nuran.
Click here to see the difference between Angela Nuran and regular dance shoes.
A good quality ballroom shoe is great for the sole purpose of dancing. A cheap pair of ballroom shoes is money thrown away. Neither are ideal for the Angela Nuran customer for the following reasons.
1. The footbed of ballroom shoes is so flexible it can collapse in your hands. This extremely flexible sole allows dancers to fully extend and point their toes. Women who have not developed the ankle strength or core strength to balance on heels with so little support and structure within the footbed will have a difficult time in a ballroom shoe, wobbling when they walk, and possibly twisting their ankle in a higher heel. Angela Nuran shoes feel extraordinarily stable and well balanced but still offer more ball of the foot flexibility than most street shoes
2. The footbed of ballroom shoes is cut short so toes hang over the end allowing dancers to feel the floor. This is not attractive. Non-dancers feel like a ballroom shoe in their size is too small, but going to a larger size only results in too much space behind the heel thus an ill fitting shoe. Angela Nuran shoes are cut to fashion shoe size.
3. Ballroom shoe uppers are either leather, vinyl, poly satin or some other textile unsuitable to complement a silk wedding dress or designer evening gown. Angela Nuran shoes are hand made with luxurious pure silk uppers. The natural off white / light ivory color is perfect for most wedding dresses, or the shoes can be meticulously dyed in our atelier to match any color. After the wedding, brides can send them to us to be dyed for future wear.
4. Ballroom shoes rarely offer styling that appeals to young brides or to the fashion sensibilities of sophisticated women. Angela Nuran shoes are timeless classics offering nearly unlimited customization options to make any shoe a one-of-a-kind creation for a special lady.
5. Ballroom shoes are expected to take abuse on the dance floor, thus no great effort is put into the materials and adornments used. Angela Nuran shoes are made of fine silk, kidskin leather lining, unsurpassed comfort padding, buttery soft suede soles, and sparkling crystal jewelry trims all of which combined yields a gorgeous quality shoe that withstands multiple wearings, earning its purchase price.
Angela Nuran shoes are the perfect choice for any woman who wants high quality, comfortable, timelessly beautiful footwear which will give her hours more comfort than fashion shoes and offers her the additional benefit of genuine suede soles making these the perfect shoes for social dancing at any special occasion.
Meet the Team
Ashley started part-time in 2009, then trained under Angela in shoe dyeing to become our dye master. In 2013, she resigned as manager of a bridal salon to manage Angela Nuran Shoes. Ashley’s experience in couture bridal and formerly as a Nordstrom shoe department manager gives her first hand insight into the needs of our retailers as well as their customers.
Betty came to us in 2011. Her experience in jewelry design quickly lead her to become our Glitz specialist. Her skill at applying each Swarovski® crystal by hand to produce our Glitz designs is outstanding. Betty also dyes shoes and manages the workflow in the production room.
Paul handles multiple office issues including IT, website coordination, bookkeeping, payroll, projections and business mentoring. He retired in 1995 from his own very successful Chicago-based business and now faces his most demanding position: he’s Angela’s husband.
Senior Morale Officer
Bun Bun keeps us all together while she tears the place apart. She chews everything, so if you don’t see a credit on your statement, take it up with the rabbit. She probably ate your Return Authorization.
Bun Bun was rescued from a parking lot.
Junior Morale Officer
Dottie is our office therapist. When the going gets tough, we go to Dottie. This adorable, sweet girl wiggles her little pink nose and gives a million warm bunny kisses, and the problem hops away.
Dottie was rescued from a different parking lot four years after Bun Bun.
Superstar Shoe Model
Bentley is Angela’s Persian Chinchilla Dollface Teacup. He photo bombed many pictures during the photo shoot and stole the show. Bentley does not work at the office. Paw print photos available upon request.